Linda Gibbs, business development specialist at Greater Iowa Credit Union, and a team of marketing professionals from the credit union, received the Iowa Business Educators Association’s (IBEA) 2011 Service to Business Education Award at the statewide organization’s annual convention Friday, October 7, 2011, at the Cedar Rapids Marriott. IBEA is a state wide professional organization for business teachers.
According to the citation, Gibbs and the marketing team have contributed greatly to the success of Ames High School’s Business Department over the past few years. Listed below are just a few of the things she and her team have done:
· Donated books on financial planning for our business department’s library for students to use.
· Contributed monetary gifts for a raffle fund-raising event for our DECA chapter.
· Donated time and money to speak to several of our business department classes on financial literacy topics, credit unions, etc.
· Developed Project Money, an award-winning financial literacy fair (similar to a science fair) for Iowa middle and high school students. Participated in many marketing education class projects, such as professional interviews with students and the Community Service Apprentice Program (CSAP).
· Mentored with numerous students who were working on projects that were submitted for competition at state DECA Leadership Conference. Many of these projects have advanced to the DECA International Career Development Conference.
· Sponsor of Ames High’s First Annual Financial Literacy Night. Provided refreshments and 5 $50 gift cards through a drawing of attendees.
For cutline: Pictured is Greater Iowa Business Development Specialist Linda Gibbs (left) with Sharon Keehner, president of the Iowa Business Education Association.