5 Reasons You Should Use a Debit Card
October 31, 2019
People often talk about the benefits of using a credit card, but there are also perks to using a debit card as well! You can use both card types for your everyday purchases and even to pay your bills. Debit cards are great middle ground between cash and credit cards. They are convenient, like a credit card and they may prevent you from overspending since you are spending funds you already have.
Here are some great reasons you should be using your debit card!
- Lose the need to carry cash! You don’t have to worry about carrying around cash or coins. All of your funds are right there on your debit card. Almost every merchant and establishment accepts debit cards these days and if they don’t, finding an ATM is usually an easy task. Especially if you’re a GICU member! You can use your debit card at any ATM that accepts Mastercard® or Shazam® cards. You can also avoid fees by using your Debit Mastercard® at Privileged Status® ATMs.
- Provide more security for your money! If cash is stolen it’s easy to use and cannot be tracked. However, if someone steals your debit card, you can cancel the card and track any purchases that were made with it. You are much more likely to recover any lost funds by carrying a debit card, rather than a wallet full of cash.
- Debit cards are inexpensive. They don’t usually charge annual fees. GICU also has totally free checking! Using your debit card with your free GICU checking account is a win-win!
- Easy to acquire! Most accounts, both checking and savings accounts, will offer you a debit card linked to the account without the need to fill out an application or go through any sort of preliminary check.
- Easy to stay within your budget! To spend money using a debit card, you have to have it. If you don’t have an overdraft set up, you will not be able to spend money you don’t have. If you are one who struggles with overspending, a debit card may be a great tool to prevent you from going into debt!
All in all, debit cards are both easy to acquire and use! They eliminate the need for cash in most situations, as most merchants accept debit cards and can help prevent you from going into debt if you tend to overspend.
If you are a GICU member, another reason you should use your debit card - you could win $20! By using your debit card at least 20 times in any given month, you’ll automatically be entered to win $20. Five winners are randomly selected each month as part of out Get $20 for 20 program and you could be one of them! If you are selected, you’ll receive an email from us and see the $20 post to your checking account.
- debit card
- identity theft protection